DC Pumps [RE-wrenches]

hugh piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Mon Jul 2 03:55:29 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
At 11:04 pm +1200 30/6/01, Carl Emerson wrote:
>hugh piggott wrote:
>
>"Isn't there a new-fangled gismo you can buy nowadays called an 'inverter'?
>Or am I missing something..."
>
>I believe that a brushless DC motor delivering equal torque is may times more
>efficient than an AC motor.
>We always look for a DC solution for pumps etc. A second advantage when using
>a Trace SW set-up is the ability to operate off the battery bank during sleep
>mode, without waking up the inverter.

Sorry I did not reply to this earlier, Carl.  I understand that DC
pumps are ore efficient than AC ones, and I am learning just how big
the difference is, although I am not sure I understand essentially
why this should be so.

I also understand the advantages of 'sleep mode' in terms of saving a
hundred (or so) watt-hours of energy per day.  This falls into the
category of 'phantom loads'.  I am ambivalent on that one, myself.  I
personally only carry out a vendetta on my phantom loads when wind is
scarce.  Much of the time I tolerate them as being just a (very
regrettable) part of using modern appliances.

The way I see it, small renewable energy systems ought to be
available to the public as 'plug and play'.  It should not be
necessary to modify your appliances or lifestyle to a serious extent,
except when it really matters (like in exceptional weather if you
wish to avoid/minimise engine run time).

I cannot see that many people will want to use special DC circuits,
and/or do without 24-hour power unless there is a considerable
pay-off.  Perhaps in the case of pumps the pay-off is there.
--
Hugh

http://www.ScoraigWind.co.uk

- - - -