DC Pumps [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Sat Jun 30 15:03:01 PDT 2001

Hi Hugh,

Don't they make those out of used brake drums or something like that?  I
think some guy from Scotland wrote a pretty good book about that. :-)

 I like to get some more "real" wind systems in my area.  I suspect they
could be successful.  I have a few customers with some 403's and 503's.  I
didn't install or site them.  They seem pretty unhappy with them.  It
probably has to do with being mounted 20' lower than surrounding trees,
directly mounted to the house and other things that bring a smile to my face
every time I see them.  I actually talked the lag bolt roof mount guy into
taking it down before it came down by itself along with a big piece of roof
decking   I would love to get 1kw or larger machine installed around me at
50' or better.  I have a few customers that might jump on the XL1 when it
comes out in a 48v version.

Very few if any places easily applicable for micro hydro in the Ozarks.  I
have looked at least 20 sites and they just weren't enough for the
construction it would take.  Maybe with these low head machines that are
coming out that will change.  For example I have one customer with a 1-2
million gallon/day spring that I could easily get 2'-3' of head.  The
impoundment is already built (about 100 years ago actually) and has some
leakage but there is one sluice that has ~500 gpm with 2' head already
built.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Solar