batteries in garages [RE-wrenches]

James Lamb, Middle Fork Engineering j.lamb at pecorp.com
Fri Jun 8 04:40:00 PDT 2001

Joel
I know where that code came from.

	National Fuel Gas Code
	By National Fire Protection Association
		American Gas Association

	Installation of natural gas equipment in garages

	NFPA 54/ANSI Z223.1

	5.1.9 Installation in residential garages.
	Gas utilization equipment in residential garages shall be installed
so that all burners and burner ignition devices are located not less than 18
inches (46cm) above the floor.
	Such equipment shall be located or protected so it is not subject to
physical damage by a moving vehicle.

	In Chicago gas buring equipment must be 8 feet above the floor of a
garage.
	One exception. A direct vent heater (a heater where the air for
combustion air comes from the outside and the exhaust goes outside as well)
can be used. This type of equipment has no exposed flame or ignition device
to the garage.

	Suggest you understand where that code came from. good luck

	Jim Lamb
	Middle Fork Engineering
	Northbrook IL.60062
	middleforke at yahoo.com

> --- Joel Davidson <joeldavidson at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > I've seen T-105s and L-16s installed by Solar Webb
> > in residential garages with
> > solar powered vents that have been approved by City
> > of Anaheim building
> > inspectors.
>
> Has anyone else installed batteries in garages?  I
> just got called by an inspector today for having a
> triple stacked Trace Power Module with eight Dynasty
> gels.  He said the battery terminals had to be at
> least 18" above the garage floor because they might
> generate a spark where there could possibly be
> flammable fumes.
>
> Any advice for points to make during diplomatic
> discussions with the inspector's boss, who he is
> deferring to?
>
> Jerry Caldwell
> Light Energy Systems

> - - - -

> List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

> Hosted by Home Power magazine

and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance
upon, this information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com