Referrals and Service Calls [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 05:36:44 PDT 2001

Daryl,
   I have had tremendous success with a very simple web page (not even a
site) on a local business listing site.  The secret is to have it set up
properly so that people doing searches for "solar" and your "local area" find
it readily.  My page costs $100 a year and I have had 15000 hits on it in 2
years.  Every large installation I have done somehow involved the web page to
get the customer to me.  Even if they have heard about me, most computer savy
prospects will go the the web to check me out or simply to get my phone
number.  I have had numerous comments such as " the best renewable energy
site on the web".  Take a look at mine and you will see how simple it is.
Most folks new to renewables can be easily confused and the glitzy web sites
just add to the confusion.  I am even resisting putting in pictures as it
adds to loading time.  My goal is to have them contact me and I send info
based on their interest.  Most initial contacts are by email with some by
phone.  I respond to every email contact with a question to them to start a
dialog and if they respond, I up the ante with more specific questions.
Usually the tire kickers drop out right away and the serious folk respond.
Each day when I screen the wrenches topics, I first look for the Non-
Wrenches emails which are prospects.  I narrow them down by location and
refer the distant ones to a wrench if they look real good.  If they don't say
where they are, I just email back asking that question.  Often that is the
end of the dialog.
   I had a more sophisticated web site running but it was almost invisible
when searching.  I am now in the process of having my domain name handled by
the web page guy mirroring my existing web page.  That will make me look more
legitimate and cost a little more but I will have to maintain just the web
page and not a complete site.  I'm in this for the same reasons you are.  I
like being outdoors and doing the installation and seeing happy customers.  I
do spend an hour or so on the computer each night but part of that is the
wrenches monitoring which I find very useful when isolated geographically as
I am.

Take a look at my web page for the "simplicity factor"
www.middlebury.net/cvsolar and soon you will find the same page at
www.cvsolar.com

John Blittersdorf
Central Vermont Solar and Wind

from my mountainside office high in the Green Mountains of Central Vermont

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com