Frigidare Washer [RE-wrenches]

Gary Higbee, Solutions from the Land ghigbee at efn.org
Wed May 23 14:14:16 PDT 2001

Wrenches,

So interesting to read about the Frigidare Gallery washer (failure to run on
"mod-sine") in light of the fact that I just returned from a client system
review (she installed it) and hydro service, and she runs her Frigidare off
her DR2424 inverter. Here's the interesting part:

She tells me that at first the washer didn't work, but then she went off to
run the vacuum and when she turned on the vacuum the washer started and ran
through a cycle. She's since found that the washer "on" switch is to turn on
the washer and then give an electric hair dryer a short blast. The washer
runs through a cycle.

Do you think that turning on these big loads "softens" the square-wave
enough to get the washer electronics to accept the input? If so I wonder why
the washer then continues to run. Must be some sensitive startup circuit?

Theories aside, based on what you've said it sounds like this is a bad
practice, and will likely result in significantly shorter washer life. But
she's been running the washer this way for a year or so, and it may be
difficult to convince her of any danger here when she's had a system in
place for some time with no apparent problem (YET).

It seems to me that the best advice I can offer is:

1) If the device doesn't start and run normally it shouldn't be run (via
vacuum, hair dryer, or whatever other "control"). Running this washer with a
DR inverter could result in shorter life of the unit(at best) or of her(a
burned-down house). Is this too strong?

2) It would be wise to sell the washer and get a Staber OR go ahead and bite
the bullet and replace the DR with a SW.

What do you think? Any first-hand accounts to offer?

Thanks,

Gary

     Gary Higbee  (ghigbee at efn.org)
             (541)607-1818