Venting [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Tue May 15 14:19:50 PDT 2001

Lyn:

I would just go along with the inspector and install the 2" vent.

Others on the list have correctly stated that the code (NEC) does not
normally require additional ventilation of battery rooms.
Be careful though, the UBC (uniform building code) has some really ugly
requirements for battery rooms - like 4 hour fire walls, and seismic racks.
And then there are the eye wash stations and showers, etc.
Normally we all think about the NEC but there are other requirements like
the UBC and other local codes that MAY come into play.

I don't think I would want to take the risk of having an inspector look
carefully at all of the various code requirements for battery rooms in an
effort to justify his 2" vent.
You might not be happy with what he or she finds out.

If you have any questions or I can be of any further assistance please do
not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

John Berdner

SMA-America, Inc.