PV Module Degradation (was PV Inverters module strings) [RE-wrenches]

Baran Galocy livewire at c-zone.net
Tue May 15 07:11:43 PDT 2001

Jay,

I'd like to address that bit about the warrantees on pv, and reducing the
cost by shortening the warrantee.  I invite ANY pv manufacturer to argue
that the difference between a 10 year and 25 year warrantee is as much a
matter of variations in low-cost encapsulation techniques vs. any real
difference in the chemical construct of the panel  (come on, shoot me down
if I'm wrong).  Is there a way to invite some engineer from Sandia National
Labs onto this board.  Much of our current pv technology has originated
there in whole or part - not meaning to diss any other country's R&D!-:)
I, also, am of a mind that the pv industry has been pocketing a big chunk of
profit in the past couple of years.  No, I don't think they should be
regulated, but perhaps a realistic reminder en masse that many other
countries have now entered the industry or are gearing production towards
the U.S.   As an example, Sunny Boy's entry to the U.S. market should help
Trace with their production by providing some spirited competition.

On a somewhat different matter, can anyone give an opinion of Heart inverter
products?  I have seen a couple, the owners seemed pleased with them, but no
one much is using them.  Why don't we (I) hear more about them?

On a final note, an example of a ratings differential.  This time, its not
with the panels, per se, but "identical" systems from different suppliers.
Solar Depot offers a "UT-1000" system based upon a Sun-Tie 1000 and 10
MSX-120's.  The output is 956 watts. This is a system whose name is close to
its rated output.

Real Goods offers an "ST-1000" system based on the same inverter, but only 8
Astropower 120's for a rated output of 787 watts.  This is a system whose
name is based on the inverter size only.

Aside from the fact that Real Goods will sell to the public for near
wholesale prices (hey, that's capitalism - you go guys), people seeing a
"UT-1000" and an "ST-1000"  and seeing they have the same inverter are
likely to believe they have the same output.  I mention this because it came
up for me at an energy fair this last weekend.   When you get to the 2500
watt systems, the situation somewhat reverses itself.    I think we simply
need to live with it and educate those who would be our clients.  How many
years have we (the public at large) bought a slight variation on an
automobile because of the name?

Baran

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com