Proposed Changes to C.E.C. rebates in California [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Thu May 10 13:12:13 PDT 2001

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar wrote at 12:35 PM 05/10/2001 -0500:

>Bill's suggestion of going to CA is not to bad although.  I'm booked up
>through June.  Anybody need help in July?  "Have tools, will travel".

The next thing that is going to happen is that we are going to run out of PV modules. Some folks in CA will be paying over 20 cents per KWH for grid power, and with the new rebates (if), it comes very close to making economic sense to install PV or wind.

Who is going to build all these new "CA Buy Down Program" approved modules? Manufacturers are already reporting significant delays in shipping due to demand. I imagine that module prices have already increased somewhat as a result.

Think about what will happen to national & international module prices once the CA program gets into full swing. I seriously doubt if manufacturers could keep up with CA demand for household PV alone, let alone everything else. I heard David Katz remark that at current production rates, it would take 50 years of manufacturing using every international PV manufacturing facility to meet CA's needs via PV.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top."
			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
     Managing Editor, Home Power magazine
     Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
     (Not HP mag numbers) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com