Leviton H.A. & Trace SW compatibility [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at erols.com
Tue May 8 09:18:21 PDT 2001

Have you looked for grounding (loops or breaks or islands) for all
systems;
Electrical and Phone etc. ?

"Noise" between load side and input side of inverter is not ground
loop or ground related noise.  The problem is that any X-10 device
"waits" to send first a letter and number code as a DC voltage imposed
on the AC line just when the AC voltage crosses the zero point,
followed by an on, off, or dim command at the next AC zero voltage
point.

These "signals" have a very hard time passing through the electronics
of a sine wave inverter.  In fact, I am almost convinced that they
cannot pass through an inverter.  The only time we have been able to
make it work is when the inverter is in grid tied or float mode and
the AC transfer switch in the inverter is connecting the input AC feed
to the output AC line and not going through the inverter electronics
at all.

We have signal test equipment and the problem is not ground related.
Note - you can buy a "bridge" that will transfer X-10 signals from a
device on Line 1 to Line 2 on a 240 VAC breaker panel, however we have
been reluctant to use this device to "tie" both sides of an inverter
together.

Hope this helps,

Jeff Yago

- - - -