olar Boost / C40 test [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Mon May 7 09:46:29 PDT 2001

Allan,

Why would you expect to see 35 volts under any sunlight conditions (except
below zero ambient temperatures)? You are quoting Standard Test Condition
numbers that should only be used as a starting condition to then convert to
real conditions.

Again, MPPT controllers are good for off-grid systems. The jury is still out
on whether they provide much benefit to on-grid systems. It will probably
depend very heavily on climate-specific issues. In California, with our
rainy winters and sunny summers, this makes MPPT controllers on
grid-connected systems produce the same or less power than a system without
an MPPT controller. Remember, the controller can take around 5% of the power
just to operate. Our industry needs these controllers, but we have to be
clear on when and how to use them. Hopefully RV will get their ETL listing
soon so we can use them in inspected systems.

Bill.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com