PV Inverters module strings (Last Call) [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sat May 5 20:26:39 PDT 2001

Comments below.

Carl Emerson wrote:

> Joel Davidson wrote:
>
> > Last call for your input on Trace Technologies inverter rough (first
> > pass) design series string count. Any changes, additions or corrections?
>
> Hullo there...
>
> I re-read the correspondence on this issue and am not convinced we have a
> consensus regarding supplying Trace with such a list.
>
> What is the purpose of the list?

Purpose of list: For designers who want to do a system quick calc for power,
energy and price estimate.

> Did Trace request it?

No. From my perspective Trace likes to remain neutral to module manufacturers
which is good (no favoritism) and bad (no design data).

> Will it eventually appear in Trace literature and therefore indirectly
> promote some solar panel brands and not others?

I can't speak for Trace, but the only time in recent memory I can remember
Trace listing brands is with the TCB10 and a lot of people are thankful for
the list.

> Why do we have a wholesale exclusion of Canon/Unisolar?

No module is excluded. Every module manufacturer who wants to do major PV
projects should chime in on this list. More choice is better. (Uni-Solar is no
longer a part of Canon.)

> Will the list include product to be released next year?

What products are being released next year?

> I think it would be much better for Trace to spell out the electrical
> criteria to be met and leave the array design to the engineers.

Other people share your opinion, but I do not.
signed,
Joel Davidson, Member
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com