substitute for Todd battery chargers [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Sat Apr 21 14:34:40 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
Hi Wrenches and Doug,

Thank you for the help with the 3 phase generator, stacked inverter
issue.  Thanks especially to Bill Roush for putting us on the track of
industrial chargers through Total Source.  They connected us to Mountain
Power and Communications (303)935-5901, who has a line of chargers that
could be appropriate for off grid installations.  These chargers are made
by Yuasa Exide.  They have many high amperage, 120 volt models.

We might have found a battery charger to balance out the 120/208 3 phase,
25 KW Kohler.  There might be some technical difficulties with the
unit.  We still need to locate a factory rep.  We also don't know the price
yet.

The 24 volt Iota chargers look like they might also be a possible option.

Can you run the Iota battery chargers in parallel?  We would probably run
5, 25 amp, 24 volt chargers in parallel.  They would also be in parallel
with 2 Trace SW 4024 inverters.  We would be using the Iota chargers to
balance the windings of the three phase generator.

The Iota chargers are rated as constant voltage chargers.  Are the Trace
SW4024 inverters rated closer to constant current?   Would this make the
Iota chargers drop off their charging rate faster?  (Or would it make an
iota of difference?)

What is the AC amperage input to the Iota DLS 24-25 Hi-Volt Charger?

Thanks much for your help.

Drake

At 11:08 AM 04/21/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>The IOTA is almost an exact replacement for the Todd, same
>constant-voltage output, same size. Small wonder, since most of the Todd
>engineers now work at Iota. Prices are fairly close, a bit cheaper on
>the 30 & 55 amp sizes, a bit more on the 75 amp size. Iota even has a
>24v model. No more lifetime warranty, but a reasonable 2-year warranty.
>We've been selling them for 2-3 months with no problems yet.
>-Doug Pratt
>

>"David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light" wrote:
>
> > What choices do we have to replace Todd battery chargers (no longer
> > available as far as I can tell).
> > Schott Applied Power is now selling IOTA chargers.
> > Any experience with these or other substitutes?
> >
> > Dave Palumbo
> >

>- - -
>To send a message:
>  RE-wrenches at topica.com