Edison Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Fri Apr 6 16:24:19 PDT 2001

	Travis;

	NiFe batteries dead and buried? Not a chance. They may not be too popular,
but they were still in production a few years back. I have a set of 60Ah
Exides that were in use by the University for something. They've been
stored outside, under my shop for at least 15 years, no charge, no useage,
and I can still draw a spark off of them by shorting them with a piece of
#12 wire!
	When I acquired these cells, there were a dozen or more pallets of them,
each pallet stacked at least three layers deep, all sitting at the recycle
scrap yard! If I had been looking for a project, I'd have bought the lot
right there and then.
	I think Railroads may still use Edison cells as backup power at signal,
switch, and communications facilities.

	-S

- - -
To send a message: