Smoke detectors [RE-wrenches]

Ian Woofenden, Home Power ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Fri Apr 6 14:58:14 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>

A forwarded post from a part-time dealer in my area (yes, his last
name is Soler, and his business name is Soler Hydroelectric):

---
   A letter writer asked about 12 volt whole house smoke alarms. In several
>>installations, I modified regular 120 volt smoke alarms. I don't remember
>>the brand. I found that the voltage was being dropped from 120 to 9 volts
>>with a 1/2 watt, high ohm resister. I just soldered a wire to bypass the
>>resister and fed the device 12 volts through a 3 leg 9 volt voltage
>>regulator. All the smoke alarms were then wired in series. If one alarm went
>>off then all sounded. These devices passed the electrical inspection.  It
>>only took a few minutes to open up each case , locate the one large resistor
>>and solder the jumper wire in place.  Chris Soler
---

Ian

--
Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>, Fax: 360-293-7034
Associate Editor, Home Power magazine, The Hands-On Journal Of Home-Made Power

800-707-6585 (US), 541-512-0220, or download current issue at
<http://www.homepower.com>

- - -
To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com