approved disconnects [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Wed Apr 4 13:32:00 PDT 2001

Michael,

If you pull out the disconnect, and lock it onto the box, I find it to be
pretty visible.
[RANT ON]
But more importantly, why hasn't the utility EVER used one of these units
that we've installed? We have documented outages where the switch has not
been used, and no documentation from any utility (in VT) that they have
used one. So if this is so imporatnt to line man safety, are the lineman
being unsafe? Are the utilities not providing proper info to the
lineworkers so the lineworkers know where the systems are? And when we have
entire subdivisions with PV, are they going to turn off 250 disconnects?
[RANT OFF]

Jeff

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources wrote at 02:19 AM 4/4/2001 -0400:

>We've also used the air conditioing type pull out disconnect switches. We
>didn't ask permission, we just installed one on a job to see if they
>complained.

I did a workshop where one of these pull-out disconnects was installed.
PG&E made us change it out for 2 reasons. First, the locking status was not
visible without opening the cover, and second they wanted no user
accessible fuses in it because if the fuse blew, PG&E would have to come
with their key to let the owner change it.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of
scum on top."
			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
     Associate Editor, Home Power magazine
     Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
     (Not HP mag numbers) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

- - -
To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

Archive of previous messages: