approved disconnects [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 4 11:00:55 PDT 2001

Wrenches with approved disconnects:

Having taking this issue all the way from utilities to the IBEW Union Rules
(where this requirement stems), here is a synopsis of the issue:

Utility Outdoor Lineworker Unions (IBEW) require a visible open clearance
point to separate all "sources" on the utility line section they may be
working on. This is a union rule and not a utility rule. The utility simply
enforces it for their workers.

This is usually interpreted as a "utility-accessible, visible-open,
gang-operated switch, lockable in the open position with a 3/8" utility
lock."

We can purchase a 60-amp, 240Volt switch at Home Depot (did I say Home
Depot? ;-)) for under $40. I personally hate the A/C pullout switches since
many of these are very poorly made. I have discussed this issue with IBEW
headquarters and they are open to starting a dialogue on the subject, but it
is going to take some serious education to get them to give up this
requirement. For now, all I can say is suck-it-up and hopefully we can make
some inroads in the near future.

WARNING: I HAVE SEEN DOZENS OF 240-VOLT SWITCHES WITH THE NEUTRAL OF A
120-VOLT CIRCUIT SWITCHED THROUGH THE "UNUSED" POLE OF THE DISCONNECT. This
means that our battery-based systems have their critical-load subpanels
ungrounded when the utility operates this switch. If you have done this in
any of your field installations, please remove the neutral from the switch
leg and split-bolt it in the switch (better yet install an isolated neutral
bonding block in the switch enclosure). This is a serious safety issue, and
it is done far too often.

Bill.

 RE-wrenches at topica.com

Archive of previous messages: