Wire nuts in DC? was (Re: Fried Combinor Box) [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Mon Apr 2 09:54:40 PDT 2001

>I try to avoid using wire nuts in DC but I have never had any trouble when I
>did.

I second that statement. I've been fond of the european style strip
connectors with the little screw clamps; I know they're not listed, but
Trace uses them on all their Inverter outputs(High amp, High volt).
I have personally seen problems with the revered split bolt on DC. Two
heavy gauge stranded wires together seem to relax over time allowing the
connections to loosen and corrosion to build. The solution is to clean and
retighten them, but its hard to even check the connection with the standard
1/4 roll of electric tape wrapped around it. The Polaris connectors are the
best but the cost is 5 times the split bolt and 50 times the wire nut.
Anybody know where I can get the Euro connectors in #6 ala Trace? I know
Radio Shack has the #10 and smaller stuff. I'm interested in what works the
best for the least cost.

Ray

Remote Tech
Carson, NM