Home Depot is gonna kill us! [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 24 08:36:40 PST 2001

The subject of selling wholesale to end users has been discussed for many years
in the building industry and many other industries. Whether you like it or not,
growth, especially fast growth, is the engine that drives our economy. Even if
you cherish quality over quantity, it is hard for someone who wants to see more
PV to complain about a distribution system that gets tens of thousands of
people to go solar versus a few hundred. Granted, some (a lot of) PV systems
will go in badly, but restricting design and installation to an elite,
self-appointed guild is not the way to get megawatts of PV installed on U.S.
homes and businesses. Home Power's guerrilla solar has the right spirit (power
to the people) and some of you wrenches are guerrillas, but outlaw PV is not
going to be accepted by the average John and Jill Doe.

I'm reminded of a conversation with a U.S. Gypsum executive at the (NAHB)
National Association of Homebuilders' trade show. I asked how Home Depot could
sell sheetrock cheaper by the sheet to homeowners than I could buy a whole
truckload from my building supply distributor. His answer, "Home Depot buys
sheetrock by the trainload, that's why."

I've been telling builders, plumbers, electricians and now PV installers not to
worry about customers buying their own equipment. Installers make more money
selling their skilled labor. If the customer buys the wrong part, that's their
problem. If the customer installs the system wrong, that's an opportunity for
you to sell your skilled labor.

If there are installers, especially in southern California, who want
installation referrals, please post to this group. Also, spend a few friendly
moments with your local building supply and hardware store managers, tell them
that you do solar electric installations and would be happy to take any
referrals and then give him some business cards. Also give cards to the people
at the building inspection office. I'm sure you can think of other places to
drop off business cards (real estate brokers, local newspapers are always
looking for good stories, architects, your electrical supply warehouse, local
food co-op, etc.) Follow up every few months to see if there have been any
inquiries.

 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: