Bergey XL.1 delays [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Sun Mar 18 18:10:37 PST 2001

I heard fairly reliably (from both Paul Gipe and from Steve Burns, Bergey's
sales mgr.) that Mick Salligro(sp?) at Lake Michigan Wind & Sun got his first
XL.1 order a couple weeks ago, and there's more in the pipeline. I'm not
surprised to hear of problems and delays. This is Bergey's first venture into
off-shore manufacturing...and from the little taste I've had of it thru Real
Goods...the perils are manifold! My hat is off to you guys who are willing to
try out one of these brand-new units!  Expect some problems.  Hopefully minor
ones.

Doug Pratt

Chris Daum wrote:

> Hi Kirk and wrenches:
>
> That deposit deal definitely sounds like a royal screw--but Bergey, like
> many other manufacturers in our industry, is just swamped right now.  And,
> since they sell direct to end users at retail price, who do you think is
> getting their XL1s right now?  Assuming they ARE available????
>
> Just a thought.  There's something good to be said about a manufacturer who
> only sells through its distribution network--otherwise, they're competing
> with the dealer network they're supposed to be supporting.
>
> Chris @ the Oasis
>
> Chris Daum
> Oasis Montana Inc.
> 406-777-4321 or 4309
> 406-777-2632  fax
> www.oasismontana.com
>
> On Sunday, March 18, 2001 2:37 PM, Kirk Herander, VT Solar
> [SMTP:vtsolar1 at together.net] wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anyone out there actually installed an XL.1? I'm still waiting for
> > my initial shipment of 4 units...Bergey advised me of yet more delays in
> > mid-Feb, saying once again that they would be "in country" and ready to
> > ship within 3 - 4 weeks. I have heard nothing more. Meanwhile, they've
> > held my deposit money since July of '00. My order is part of the second
> > batch made in China. To my knowledge, the first batch of 10 were not
> > released due to mfg. defects.
> >
> > I don't want to install a machine that will have field problems, so it's
> > good that they are not releasing the machines considered sub-standard,
> > but why can't a manufacturer see repeated delays of 9 months or more
> > coming? The number of these delays and missed ship dates astounds me. My
> > customers are becoming increasingly restless over this. They are hanging
> > on, barely before canceling orders, to the advantages of Bergey's good
> > rep and 5 year warrantee. I am beginning to not feel that great either,
> > having sold them on the benefits of vaporware. rant off.
> >
> > Kirk

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: