Unisolar Roofing [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Fri Mar 16 14:50:18 PST 2001

Bill,

It's not just UniSolar that is presenting these kind of numbers. BP Solar
also presents similar numbers  on their amorphous panels (MST's).

Sorry, but the more I learn, the more I'm feling that the single and poly
crystals are the dark side. Like that all single and poly crystals are
named and nameplate rated at the peak cell output. Of course the module
performs at the weak cell output. So when you group the 36 cells together,
that SX-120 becomes a 112 or 115 Watt panel, at best. Then they are also
rated at a higher (more difficult to achieve) Vmp.

So far as efficiency goes, I really do not care about it. With grid
connected net meter systems, the only thing that really matters is the
$/annual kWh produced. So if I can install a less efficient panel faster
and chaper, then we're ahead. I figure that buying the rack and the
mounting structure, and then racking and transporting the rack adds about
$1.5 per watt. Pretty steep. Shipping costs are also much less with the
UniSolar.

There is some interesting data on http://www.free-energy.net/ regarding an
independent performance test of a-Si vs c-Si. I have not verified it, but,
like I said, it's interesting.

>From what I understand about the temperature sensitivity, a-Si performs
better hotter. (More like a three dimensional histogram for performance,
rather than a linear effect like c-Si.) We all know c-Si performs better
colder. Guess what panels are most of the time. Especially as compared to
STC at 25 degrees C.

Gosh, you'd think I actually work for UniSolar! Actually, they give me many
of the same pains other manufacturers give me, but I do strongly disagree
with what you've posted.

Let's move past the "darkside" stuff. We've got an industry to build, and
slams of (fairly established) product catagories are not going to help us.
What would help would be some real, long-term, well monitored, side-by-side
tests of different PV technologies. How about putting some pressure on the
manufacturers to do this?

Jeff

Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Vermont Limited Liability Partnership
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 51
Strafford, VT 05072
802/765-4632