question/battery-grid charging [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar toddcory at jps.net
Thu Mar 15 11:08:59 PST 2001

Hi Jay,

Considering you basically have 3 kW to play with (at a 5% voltage loss), I'd say the
best way to run this system is with the inverter off. A constantly ON inverter
presents one hell of a phantom load, and since it is probably not needed for this
house's low peak loads they might be able to avoid it.

I'd suggest you should connect the grid to AC1 and set the inverter on silent so it
would back up grid loads in case of a utility outage.

For sure you do not want to cycle the batteries. This adds to the inefficiency
(cycling and floating them all the time) as well as lowering their life span.

If the grid connection you have established cannot handle the house loads without
excessive line loss (the customer cannot manage their peak loads), then you will be
forced to run the inverter to supplement the available grid supply and they can
suffer with the added overhead of that scenario.

I would seriously try to convince them of the huge benefits of their peak load
management skills as this could eliminate the need to run the inverter.

Hope this helps,

Todd

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com