Just in from Square D [RE-wrenches]

hugh piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Sat Mar 10 11:53:33 PST 2001

<x-flowed>There are all sorts of faults which could develop.

At 10:12 am -0800 10/3/01, Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy wrote:

>The code requires overcurrent protection in ungrounded conductors.

As I understand it, this is because there could be a fault earth
circuit back to the other pole behind the breaker (and this would not
already have blown a fuse/tripped a breaker, because the system is
floating).

>The resistance varies with the length of the run.  It doesn't take a
>very long run of #12 wire to limit the surge of low voltage current
>to well within the bounds of the 5000 DC amp interrupt capability of
>the QO breaker.

Hmm but who is to say where the fault is going to happen - which end
of the wire?  Or right at the breaker?

>ARTICLE 720 -- Circuits and Equipment Operating at Less than 50 Volts
>
>720-4. Conductors
>Conductors shall not be smaller than No. 12 copper or equivalent.

that's a bit fascist.  What about circuits with 1 amp fuses?
--
Hugh

Scoraig, Scotland
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk