net metered system question [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Thu Mar 8 00:54:46 PST 2001

Pals:

Great discussion, thanks.  Here are a few more questions, if I may (I'll
put them in caps to distinguish):

>Actually most grid intertied systems (without TOU meters) do NOT cycle the
>batteries. The wasteful (700 watt hours/day) one hell of a huge phantom load
>is
>from the SW running all the time... continuously floating the batteries AND
>it's constant idle current.

I DON'T RECALL THAT THE SW CAN BE PUT INTO THE SEARCH MODE WHILE IN SELL
MODE CAN IT?  IF THAT WERE THE CASE, THE IDLE CURRENT MIGHT BE REDUCED.

>Normally the output of a grid intertied SW goes to house loads... having a
>transfer switch on the output would negate the reason for having a battery
>based system which provides for grid outage backups. The SW's internal
>"transfer switch" shifts SW output loads to the grid when it is active and
>backs up these same loads up from the batteries/inverter during grid
>outages.

IN OUR AREA, OUTAGES ARE RATHER INFREQUENT.  THEREFORE, A BATTERY BACKUP
INVERTER SYSTEM IS USED FOR BACKUP MAYBE 10 HOURS PER YEAR.  THE ABOVE IDEA
IS ONLY FOR HOME OWNERS THAT MIGHT BE WILLING TO MANUALLY ENGAGE THAT
BACKUP CAPABILITY ON THE RARE OCCASION IT IS NEEDED.

WILLIAM

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: