net metered system question [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 17:40:54 PST 2001

The poor little SW inverter was not designed with this operation
specifically in mind. However, most backup systems (for computers) float
charge the batteries at all times. The trick is doing it with a minimum of
losses. This requires a charging circuit that is highly efficient at nearly
zero load. The SW is not that animal. I think 500 Wh/day is more realistic,
but it is still significant (Trace might tell you it is lower). This loss
only happens at night for PV systems since it is inverter PV during the day
and the PV is essentially providing the float potential. Cycling the battery
is not what you want to be doing since most of the systems have about
between a 500-1000 Watt constant load connected to them. The utility is a
whole lot more efficient. The "silent mode" is the way to go, but we will
see who brings this to market first (this is the way many small computer
UPSs operate). Advanced Energy said they might, but we must wait and see.

Bill.