QO Breakers and Panels [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue Mar 6 17:22:39 PST 2001

<x-flowed>>
>I agree. I have always thought that a little ridiculous but I doubt have a
>good grasp of the big picture.  Yes, by the time you apply all the de-rate
>factors you can get the OCV of a 24v array near 48 volts but there is no
>current which = no energy. In my way of thinking.  If there is a fault then
>the array is instantly pulled to near zero volts at short circuit current
>which = just a little above no energy.

Nothing wrong with your grasp of the picture, Travis.

>I wonder if a lot of the overkill on electrical code as it relates to solar
>is thinking of the array as a infinite energy source just like you have to
>consider the service coming into the house.  For example if there is a
>problem with the grid wires in between your main breaker and the utility
>transformer then the problem either burns the wire in two or trips the
>transformer.

In my kinder moments, I've thought about that as well. Unfortunately,
the folks charged with giving input to 690 of the Code are SUPPOSED
to know about PVs and should know better. I believe the motivations,
and hence the regulations, are far more political in nature.
Bob-O

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection
PO Box 203, Hornbrook, CA 96044
800.945.7587 or 530.475.3402