QO Breakers and Panels [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Tue Mar 6 09:56:42 PST 2001

Bob-0,

I agree. I have always thought that a little ridiculous but I doubt have a
good grasp of the big picture.  Yes, by the time you apply all the de-rate
factors you can get the OCV of a 24v array near 48 volts but there is no
current which = no energy. In my way of thinking.  If there is a fault then
the array is instantly pulled to near zero volts at short circuit current
which = just a little above no energy.

I wonder if a lot of the overkill on electrical code as it relates to solar
is thinking of the array as a infinite energy source just like you have to
consider the service coming into the house.  For example if there is a
problem with the grid wires in between your main breaker and the utility
transformer then the problem either burns the wire in two or trips the
transformer.

Travis
----------
>From: "Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection" <econnect at snowcrest.net>
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Subject: Re: QO Breakers and Panels [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Tue, Mar 6, 2001, 11:38 AM
>

>No. They are rated for 48VDC which is below the normal operating
>voltage in a 48V system. Wiles even has a problem with them in 24V PV
>systems because the PV open circuit voltage X 1.56 exceeds 48V. THAT,
>in my opinion, is just ridiculous. During normal operation they never
>see more than 32VDC or so.

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: