PS Inverter [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Mar 5 14:54:10 PST 2001

At 11:49 AM 3/5/01 -0800, you wrote:

>    1. The remote cable with its large cable terminals won't fit through 2"
>conduit fittings, and there's no hole in the PS conduit box for it. We had
>to cut one in the bottom.  Trace tech support suggested cut the wire and
>splice the wires.  All 25 of them.

I agree it is a pain in the ass to resplice all of these leads, but it is
not uncommon in the control industry to "roll-your-own" DB connectors.
Here's how you do it:

1.  Purchase a cable from Trace long enough to do what you need. (If they
don't have one long enough, one of us needs to borrow one to see how it is
wired.  I would guess it is a straight through 25 pin DB cable.  The one I
modified was a third party manufactured molded cable).

(Xantrex, where are you?????  You could jump in here and respond, saving us
valuable time researching this.)

2.  Cut one end off of the cable, leaving 6 inches of cable.

3.  Pull the wire through the conduit.

4.  Get comfortable.

5.  Acquire a molex crimper and the appropriate gender DB 25 body with back
shell and pins.

6.  Strip back the jacket from your 6 inch stub of cable.

7.  Insert an ohm meter probe into pin 1 of the connector you cut off.
Test all leads until you discover the color for pin 1.

8.  Write down the color so you can post this to the list (Xantrex, you
could join the 21st  Century and publish the color code like most reputable
manufacturers.)

9.  Strip 2" jacket of your pulled wire.  Locate the color lead for pin 1.
Crimp on a pin (or socket).  Insert it into the DB 25 body in hole 1.

10.  Repeat for pins 2 through 25.

This doesn't take that long once you get started.

William Miller

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: