PS Inverter [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler phil at positivenergy.com
Mon Mar 5 11:49:09 PST 2001

Wrenches,
Here's one we came across today that we're posting for other wrenches'
heads-up. This one has sort of a "ain't nobody home at Trace" quality.  If
indeed manufacturers can respond to our posts now, we invite a response.

RANT: ON

    The PS2524 is designed and marketed as a "SW without the bells and
whistles", best suited to residential off-grid applications. It lacks, among
other things, the LCD display and interface. We have learned that we have to
add the $295 remote to all units we sell, if only because there is no way
for the customer to initiate an EQ charge from a generator without it. And
of course, with the volatile memory, the remote is necessary to reprogram
set points when they revert to inappropriate defaults (like 30A AC in and
48W search).  I will refrain from restarting the EPROM memory thread, thank
you.

    1. The remote cable with its large cable terminals won't fit through 2"
conduit fittings, and there's no hole in the PS conduit box for it. We had
to cut one in the bottom.  Trace tech support suggested cut the wire and
splice the wires.  All 25 of them.

    2. Likewise, to get the remote cable routed to any point away from the
inverter reguires 2" to 2 1/2" holes through walls, floors, etc.

    3. To mount the remote requires disassembling the remote enclosure,
because the screw heads holding the mounting clip are on the inside.

    4.  The temp sense plug is on the AC side of the inverter, and must be
routed around to the DC side.  In this installation, it passed right by the
remote wire being routed over to the AC end.

Combine this with the bottom rear KO that cannot be used (fittings hit the
circuit board) and the hidden Max Amps In switch & LED and you gotta ask,
does anybody at Trace really get out of the office and get into the field
with these units?  Or do they just let us beta test them, letting our
clients foot their R&D bill?

RANT OFF

I want to like this inverter, but I just can't.

Phil
Positive Energy

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com