net metered system question [RE-wrenches]

R. Sparks Scott sharkey at mrsharkey.com
Fri Mar 2 16:15:59 PST 2001

	David;

	If all of your SW setup values are actually where they belong, and the
charge controller is operating properly (above the SW bulk voltage), then
you probably have MOSFET damage in the inverters. The inverters will
produce output that seems "normal", but they won't feed back the grid. Your
best bet here is to look at the wave form on an oscilloscope, if possible.
	This was the situation with my SW 2512, it would connect to the grid and
*act* like it was feeding the utility, but the batteries would boil away at
15+ volts (there's no other charge controller in my system). The inverter
would power loads from the batteries in a seemingly normal manner. When I
took apart the cabinet, I found four fried MOSFET's, all connected to one
of the three transformers. The result of this failure was that the inverter
could meet the voltage of the grid, but not exceed it enough to cause
current to flow back unto the utility. No error indications were noted on
the front panel, or in the faults menu.
	Time to exercise your (entended?) warranty.

	-S

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: