becoming an inter-tie system [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Sun Feb 18 10:32:25 PST 2001

<x-flowed>Hiya Larry,
Ah, the DC GFP! A device invented to fill a requirement written to
correct a situation for which there was never a problem in the first
place!
Trace has the only one I know about. Roll your own can. I use them in
48V systems every time (which ain't often because I try like hell to
talk folks out of putting PVs on roofs, but sometimes you gotta) In
24V systems I voice my opinions to the client and give them the
choice knowing that they may have to pay me to install one later on
IF the inspector requires it. What's the difference? Lifeform
protection. There are no recorded instances of folks getting
electrocuted by voltages less than 42VDC. Above that could, under the
worst case scenario, potentially zap someone.
Best, bob-O

>Wrenches, I have a system on a customers house that consists of 4
>SP75's roof mounted, a 4024 with a DC 250 disconnect, a C-40 charge
>controller and 8 T-105's.  This is a grid connected house and we set
>up a separate subpanel for the loads that run off the 4024.  The
>grid feeds AC1 and acts as the back up.  Therer is no generator on
>this system.  This system was always intended to grow as the
>customers budget could afford.  Now we are adding 12 more SP75's on
>the roof and they are going to inter-tie with the grid.  We will add
>an outside disconnect to comply with requirements.  The question is
>about GFI protection for the roof mounted array.  What has anyone
>been doing to provide for GFI protection for roof mounted arrays?
>and where in the control room equipment has anyone mounted the GFI
>protection?  There is a 60 amp DC breaker mounted in the DC250 from
>the array on the way to the C-40
>Thanks for any feedback
>
>Larry Brown
>Sun Mountain