SW4024 switching issue [RE-wrenches]

R. Sparks Scott sharkey at mrsharkey.com
Wed Feb 7 10:13:00 PST 2001

>coil voltage to crash on the internal contactor when at the same moment.

	The internal transfer relay is NOT directly connected to the AC input, it
is controlled by a DC logic, not powered by the AC itself. As a result,
killing the generator will probably result in some out-of-spec voltage or
freq, causing the logic to do the disconnect. This may happen before of
after the equipment being powered is affected by the dying voltage/freq.
Tightening the AC2 freq and voltage range in setup might go a long way
towards clearing this up.
	Either way, seems like the logic should unload the generator *before* it
is shut down, assuming a controlled stop, and not a generator failure. I
can tell you for sure that killing *any* gasoline-powered internal
combustion engine while it is running at speed and with a load is a sure
way to shorten it's life. Consider all of the fuel that is sucked into the
cylinders and left unburned. Tends to wash down the cylinder walls and
makes the piston lubrication during the next start sequence virtually nil.
This applies to your vehicles as well, don't rev the motor just before
cutting the ignition.
	Shutting off the ignition on *any* engine with a turbo should only be done
after the engine has idled for a moment or two. Turbos can reach 100,000
RPM internally, and it sometimes takes a while for them to spin down from
high speed/heavy load. Shutting off the engine while they are hauling ass
will burn out their bearings pronto. (Probably not a lot of turbocharged
generators in service on this list, eh?)

>If I told you what I actually knew, I'd have to kill you. They are way
ahead of you.

	This is very cryptic. What does it mean?

	-S

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: