SW4024 switching issue [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander, VT Solar vtsolar1 at together.net
Wed Feb 7 06:34:32 PST 2001

Kurt N. & Bob-O,

More info: The generator is start / stopped through the Trace auto gen start
circuitry.
Kurt: Are you saying that the Trace automatically switches back to inverter
mode before sending the stop signal? What is the length of this delay?

I instructed the customer to simulate a clean break of generator ac by
flipping the generator disconnect breaker off. This method powers his
electronics off as well. So I don't have much faith in my original idea of an
external relay to cleanly disconnect the gen. AC.

Kirk

sunwise at cheqnet.net wrote:

> Kirk Herander, VT Solar wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> The switching time of the internal relay between generator and
> battery/inverter AC is now long enough to power down these components
> momentarily.
> >
> Greetings Kirk,
> Is the Generator started by the Trace's Generator Start option?  If so,
> and you use the Auto mode to at least shut down the generator, it should
> transfer loads back to the inverter long before it even signals the
> generator to shut off.  This is the best way to shut down the generator,
> as it cleanly transfers and then lets the genset cool down a bit prior
> to shutting it off.
>
> Here's a related question someone else may have the answer to.... If you
> control the generator from the Trace, but use the manual ON and OFF on
> the Generator Menue (rather than AUTO) does it still drop out the
> internal transfer relay instantly, or does it use the falling voltage
> from AC2 to the relay coil and transfer back to the inverter??
>
> > Would disconnecting the generator AC cleanly, via an external contactor
> > / relay, before it was signaled to turn off help?
>
> If there is a problem with the transfer relay contacts or something, an
> external transfer switch may or may not fix it.  Might be best to figure
> out what is really going on first.  Something's different, what the heck
> is it?   Kurt Nelson
>
> - - - - - - -
> To send a message:
>  RE-wrenches at topica.com
>
> The archive of previous messages:
>  http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
>
> To unsubscribe send a message to:
>
> To check out the other RE-Wrench participants:
>  www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
>
> Hosted by Home Power magazine:
>  www.homepower.com
>
> For info contact list moderator by email:
>  michael.welch at homepower.com

> T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
> Newsletters, Tips and Discussions on Topics You Choose.
> http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

 michael.welch at homepower.com