Wind tower engineering [RE-wrenches]

Joe Schwartz, Home Power joe.schwartz at homepower.com
Mon Feb 5 08:27:27 PST 2001

<x-flowed>Hey William,

>I am preparing the building permit application.  The building department
>needs to see some engineering.  I thought I could use the Rohn
>specifications on what loads it would support at the specified wind
>velocity (I believe our building department uses 100 mph) and show that the
>503 does not present near that much load.  I was hoping to avoid the
>expense of additional engineering.  Rohn has their own engineers that have
>already calculated these tower capabilities.

I went through the permitting process in S. Oregon for an old Jacobs
tower. We couldn't dig up any manufacturer's specs for this tower. So
you're ahead of the game here.

What the County Planning/Building  Dept. is primarily concerned with
is the tower's footing. These specs vary from county to county and
state to state. Different locations obviously have different soil
types, are in different seismic zones, and are in different wind
regimes. So Planning Departments often require engineering specific
to the site. Or at least specific to the county.

After talking with the county planner, I put together a specific list
of engineering criteria the county required. Took this to a local
mechanical engineer and said, "All I need are numbers for these four
criteria." I spent $250 for the engineering the county required. It
wasn't cheap, but seems pretty reasonable. Having the list together
made it easy for the engineer and less expensive.

Joe Schwartz

-------------

Joe Schwartz
Home Power Magazine