Leads [RE-wrenches]

info at backwoodssolar.com info at backwoodssolar.com
Thu Feb 1 14:11:38 PST 2001

Well I have a strong opinion on giving free information.  I have talked to
wrenches who feel they are losing out if they have to talk to a customer on
the phone and never get a sale from it.  I disagree.  I think we are all in
this, at least we started in this, to promote something we believed in. That
means giving information to anyone who will listen.  That it turned into a
good living has surprised many of us.

>From the start I have taught classes free or nearly free, spent 16 hours a
week or more answering mail and email, and talking to walk in customers.  I
go out locally and diagnose problems free, if the equipment was bought from
me.  Now I know that some people ride free and spend with deep discounters,
but as many more tell me my prices are a little higher but they appreciate
the answers and solutions when they need them and they pay the extra.  While
I can't say how different it would be if I charged for everything, I can say
that business grows about 15% a year on the average here, so I keep turning
the crank and it keeps working.  Think of how it is when you have a computer
problem and call tech support to get more qualifying questions asked and
hold time when all you had was a simple question to ask. I say answer them
all, let the chips fall, and your pockets will stay full of coin in the long
run.

This is not to say that you can't change the terms for that caller who talks
45 minutes in circles.

Just my opinion and experience.
Steve Willey, Backwoods Solar Electric Systems www.backwoodssolar.com

To send a message: