don't cry for California [RE-wrenches]

R. Sparks Scott sharkey at mrsharkey.com
Fri Jan 19 08:56:55 PST 2001

	Putting on my Politico-Enviro hat for a moment (I'll rap myself on the
knuckles for you Michael):

	Don't cry for California, but DO cry for endangered fish species. Things
are only going to get worse. We up here in the Pacific North West have had
less than 30% of our normal seasonal rainfall. The snow pack, the actual
storage system for hydro, is zilch.This means that there will be more
pressure to drain down reservoirs to run hydro plants to supply CA, and
probably the local regions with power. This will devastate fish habitat and
spawning beds. Add to this the new administration's policies on
environment, and you can bet your ass that there won't even be anymore talk
of breaching dams to save the salmon.
	While waiting in a Dr's office this week, I read a Time magazine report on
the power crisis, and yep, not one single word about renewables,
decentralized power or ***conservation*** (that was something we did only
during the Arab oil embargo of 1974).
	This doesn't even begin to adress the effects of increased oil, coal, and
natural gas emissions from power plants being run overtime to meet the demand.
	I'm rubbing my hands together thinking of the lesson that will be taught
(and soon forgotten I assume), but very sad to think of the planetary
destruction that will follow...

	-S

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com