Stranded cables [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Fri Jan 19 00:10:30 PST 2001

At 08:34 PM 1/18/01 -0800, you wrote:
>It doesn't seem like there has been much response to the idea of using big
lugs for finely
>stranded wire.  But, imagine just sticking the battery or inverter cable
into a lug without
>having to use rubber bands, tape or rings of insulation to hold all the
little "hairs"
>together.  Just strip the wire and shove it in.  It would be a time saver.

Here's a trick I learned from making up "Cam-locks" (stage cable
connectors).  The connectors come with a small section of sheet copper and
instructions to wrap it around the finely stranded conductors before
inserting them into the connector body.  The copper is long enough to wrap
around the conductors about 1-1/2 times, as wide as the strip length and
considerably thinner than beer can material.  It keeps the strands together
and does not interfere with the conductivity of the connection.  I purchase
it in sheets at the hobby shop and keep it in my battery cable bucket.

What are the rest of you using for battery cable?  Where do you purchase
it?  Do you routinely apply shrink tubing to crimp connectors?  How do you
treat the battery posts on vented batteries?

I still use welding cable because it is so much cheaper than battery cable
and it does not seem to be that much different.  I purchase mine from
Waytek (who has red and black).  I do shrink any crimp connection.  I have
two types of post treatment I purchased from Napa:  a paint on goop and a
spray.  I prefer the spray as it is easier to apply and seems as effective.

William Miller

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
Chief Engineer, KCBX: NPR and PRI for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7, Word 7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7, Excel 5
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Autocad V12 DWG, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

To unsubscribe send a message to: