Trace wish list [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Tue Jan 16 10:25:40 PST 2001

Of all you wrenches, I got only 2 comments on my list, which now reads as below. Surely my gathering of your requests has not been THAT good or complete.

1.      Silent sell.

2.      EPROM back up battery

3.      More wiring space both DC & AC.

4.      Hold one of these input sessions at the MREA fair at Amherst.

5.      The option of getting a bigger transfer switch built in. That 60 amp switch feels obsolete when so many houses are 100 amp service. (It should not be added as an option if it will drive up the price of the standard units.)

6.      #2 wire terminals would be great for battery based grid intertie systems.

7.      DC Disconnect box redesign with three 2" or 2 1/2" KOs in the bottom, or failing that, stay with the same box if they gotta, but move the KO from the right side to the middle.

8.      2" knockouts are so tight that they will barely accept a standard 2" PVC male adapter.

9.      Trace DC disconnect should have room comparable to (or bigger than) any standard 200 amp disconnect switch.

10.     DC disconnect is too expensive, requires so much assembly and has a yoke (to hold the breaker) with razor sharp edges.

11.     Make corrections to the manual that more accurately reflect what the unit actually does.

12.     Adjustable time delay on the AUX relays and their hysteresis.

13.     Buttons point/scroll in the correct direction.

14.     Make the DC volt meters higher resolution so that we can set the SW setpoints closer to the C-40 setpoints. (More power in grid tie with higher voltage setpoints.)

15.     Make ALL AC, relay, and plug in (except temp sensor) locations front accessible.

16.     Put temp sensor plug in on DC side where DC conduit to batteries ends up.

17.     More accurate/finer resolution metering (especially on AC amps)

18.     Finer resolution/lower available value for search watts. (16 watts? Gimmie a break!)

19.     Equalize battery feature that works, and at the touch of a button on the faceplate.

20.     Five year warranty.

21.     Display of battery temp compensation/actual battery temperature via temp comp probe.

22.     A user programmable timer to allow the SW to return to float mode after an AC 1 (and/or 2) input power interruption. There are frequent power fluctuations in my system (mostly from switching transients in the 130 VDC PV array) that knock the SW out of tolerance, and it drops off the grid, only to return after 90 seconds ***and begins another BULK charge cycle***. This feature would allow the user to force the inverter to ignore power interruptions of a pre-set maximum duration in ?? minute increments, allowing the inverter to return directly to a FLOAT mode.

23.     User programmable override of the 90 second time-out on "AC 1 (and/or2) in Good". (Actually, this is already available for AC 2.  But could be refined to include times when the inverter disconnects the generator momentarily because of out of spec volts and/or Hz.)

24.     Ability to start and/or stop generator by internal clock.

25.     Better generator start options and/or another relay for the glow plugs

26.     Repair generator exercise bug. If you set the exercise period for 7 days, the generator starts acting wacky, like starting and then running until manually shut off.

27.     Make cursor more visible. (How about a black square with the letter/selection printed in reverse/background grey?)

28.     A spare hardware kit, including 20 - Trace C40 Face Plate Screws, 20 - SWCB Screws, 4 - DC Terminal nuts and star locks, 2 - RED DC Terminal Covers (are DR and SW's the same?- I rarely install them, inside SWCB or DRCB), 2 - Black DC Terminal Covers, & 1 - "Tester" Size Bottle of Trace White touch up paint.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top."

			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
      Associate Editor, Home Power magazine
      Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
      (Not HP mag's #s) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

To unsubscribe send a message to: