OutBack PV Combiner Info [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Dec 4 12:15:44 PST 2001

Mangelsdorf, Marco wrote:
> Anyone have specs or photos on the new Outback combiner mentioned below?
>
> marco

G'Day Mates!

OutBack has recieved ETL listing to UL1741 on our new PV combiner.  It
is rated for up to 600 VDC and is available with up to twelve 125 vdc
circuit breakers (rated for load break/make) or eight 600 VDC touch safe
fuse holders (non-load break/make).  Info is on our website under the
product name "PSPV".  We are waiting for the official ETL stickers to
ship - they are in stock already.

The PSPV combiner is a NEMA 3R type enclosure but was approved for both
vertical mount and inclined to as little as 14 degrees (3 in 12 pitch
roof).  It is a powder coated aluminum box with removeable cover and
lots of knockouts - eight 1/2 inch and a 3/4-1 inch in the bottom, a
3/4-1 on each side and a 3/4-1 inch on the back.  The bottom and back 1
inch knockouts can be punched up to 2" for larger cables.

The PSPV combiner is shipped without the breakers or fuseholders
installed - they are snap in on a din rail mount.  The PSPV box with the
negative and positive busbars, ground lug and din rail mount for $139
retail.  The 125 VDC breakers are $12 each retail and the 600 VDC fuse
holders are $8 (from Grainger - part number Cooper-Bussman CHM1) and the
fuses (UL 600 VDC Littlefuse KLM) are in the $6 to 8 price range
(wholesale).

We also have completed in house testing on a custom made 600 VDC six
pole breaker which fits inside of the PSPV combiner and leaves enough
room for a two pole AC breaker as well.  A dead front is provided inside
on this special version to prevent accidental contact with live parts
when operating the switches.

The six poles on the DC disconnect breaker allows connection of six 48
VDC nominal sub arrays - there is only 600 VDC once the breaker is
closed. The poles can also be series connected to use as a "normal" 600
VDC disconnect if you do not want to run all the wires to the PSSB
location. Three additional spaces are included for the 600 VDC series
fuse holders if required as well.

The price on this special version (the "PSSB") is $249 retail including
the DC load break disconnect switch) and the Nema 3R enclosure with
deadfront.  The AC breaker is another $29 retail.  We hope to have this
version listed and available in January of 2002.

Feedback on the designs is always appreciated - contact me directly
either by email or phone.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com