Trace UL and stupidity [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Wed Nov 21 09:39:59 PST 2001

This whole UL/Zantrex/Utility thing is starting to make me sick!
Sounds like more of the demented crap that comes from John Wiles and the
NEC ( Never Evaluate Consequences) or the stupidity of GFCI's on a low
voltage PV array, "don't use unlisted welding cable", Carflex wasn't
tested wet at higher temperatures and I could go on and on with this
prime example of Parkinsons Principle of Pyramiding Pride.
I have a friend who is a PHD electronics engineer who spent the better
part of three years testing and designing inverters that were connected
to the New Zeland grid.
He stated that after the three years of intense testing they determined
several important things.
One was that the issue of harmonics was a "red herring" thrown up by
utilities to restrict interconnect. Using allot of sophisticated
equipment it was determined that even 15% to 20% harmonic distortion was
to a huge grid no more of a problem than a few large pumps or industrial
uses with poor power factors on the line.
The islanding is another truly stupid "red herring".
This engineer stated that after exhaustive tests islanding even from
fairly large PV installations statistically didn't even show up on the
radar screen.
When utilities and so called engineers insist that all intertie have a
lockable disconnect for "safety issues" they are either delusional or
smoking crack.
I have asked perhaps dozens of utility lineman (you know the guys that
are most worried about being turned into a smoking pop tart?) what they
think of all this lockable disconnect and "lineman safety issues".
To a man they have all laughed and said "bullshit"
>From the day a lineman is hired and trained it is driven into their
heads that you never assume a line is dead. It is always tested first.
They then are required by OSHA to clamp any line to ground so as to
create a dead short if the line is activated when being worked on. It is
sad that the same brain dead over regulation seen in building codes is
used to complicate what is truly simple common sense PV systems.
Every time I see another Guerilla intertie system in HOME POWER that is
safe and simple I have to applaud Richard for having the courage and
common sense to tell the king he has no clothes.
Just think of all the crap people will have to go through now because of
UL incompetence.
How ironic that this same stupidity even creeps into software. I went to
insert a new word into this posting and once again encounterd the truly
"Brain Dead Bill Gates Demented Sadistic Software Add On" known as
overtype mode. You know the thing were each letter you type replaces the
previous one. That forces you to retype all that went before it. That
after hours of searching Help and asking dozens of others how this is
turned on or off and why it is a default mode or even exists  no one
seems to know.
All this frustration sound familiar to what UL/NEC and John Wiles create
to make life more diffucult without any real redeeming value?
Larry Elliott

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm