DC generators [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Nov 19 18:21:57 PST 2001

Wrenches,
I have a client who needs backup charging and periodic equalizing
capabilities on an older 12V offgrid system. Her system uses 8 L16s for 1400
Ahr, a Trace U2512 inverter without SB (AC charger) and 40A of PV. We are
replacing her batteries, which failed after about 7 years. She has no
ability to backup charge, even though she lives in town--she chose to be a
model for sustainable living, bless her heart. We have tried to make it easy
for her to EQ from her array by adding a SB50, but her C/ rate just isn't
high enough to do the job. So I'm looking for about 120-150 amps of
charging, with switchable voltge regulation to allow regular equalizing and
occasional bulk backup, with ease of use for an older non-technical client.

There's no one perfect solution, but we're considering a DC engine
generator, rather than an AC gennie and a pair of 75A Iota chargers. The
Genny DeeCee appears ideal, but I think it's out of business. The EPOWER
advertised in HP doesn't look very appealing--has anyone tried one?

Anyway, my real questions here: Any better suggestions? Any other DC gennie
options? The client doesn't want to switch to 24V now, although we discussed
this.

Thanks in advance.
Allan at Positive E

- - - -