relays [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Mon Oct 29 09:50:48 PST 2001

Greetings one and all,

I use more than a few 30 amp open frame DPDT power relays.  Just bought
some Daytons with 120vac coils and they are running quite warm, almost
hot. I have used Siemens, SD and PB reviously and never noticed heat
build up on the relays (even when not passing
current, just coil energized).  Is this unusual??  Even the back of the
box the relay is mounted to is noticably warm to the touch and I tried a
second relay with same results.  These were from Schott, not that that
means anything, but I usually buy relays from a WI electrical
wholesaler, hence my first experience with Daytons.

This transfer relay is very important to the proper operation of the
system and if anyone thought there was cause for concern, I'd replace it
with a different brand.

Thanks,

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions