"Real" Sun Hours [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 25 15:42:07 PDT 2001

Carl and Travis,

Most insolation data provided by folks like NREL and others is in units
referred to as "peak sun hours". This is kWh/m2/day. Values are often
published for monthly or yearly averages as in the NREL "Red Book". Goto
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/pubs/redbook/ and look at this. You can also
order a copy online.

Measurements are made with pyranometers and the insolation recorded is
listed in units of peak sun hours. This is an average daily energy delivered
by the sun (averaged over 30 years in the case of the "Red Book"), not an
instantaneous irradiance measurement.

I hope this helps.

Bill.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com