New products [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Sat Sep 8 13:29:44 PDT 2001

Friends:

I believe it was suggested here recently that dealers and installers are
responsible for determining which new products are suitable for
installation and which are not ready for the market.  I reject this concept
in totality.  Pray tell, how is an installer to know the new product he or
she recommends will or will not operate as advertised?

If a manufacturer offers a product to the market, one has no means to
evaluate the product until several people try them out.  This is one of the
most important functions of this list-serve, for us to exchange that
information rather than each of us experimenting in a vacuum.

It is now common knowledge in the industry that the ST series is fraught
with problems.  Communicating this knowledge is part of the market process.

I've seen too many scenarios where the marketing department pushes an
engineering department to release a product before it has been thoroughly
tested and proven.  Does anyone read the "Dilbert" cartoon series?  This is
common enough situation that it is a featured gag in this strip.  I believe
this may be the situation we have with the ST.  Hopefully the problems will
be resolved, but Trace has to repair a tarnished reputation in the process.
 A good first step would be for them to publicly admit the product has
serious flaws.

Thanks again to Home Power for hosting this forum where we can communicate
on these issues.

William Miller

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com