UK system [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Fri Aug 31 06:26:25 PDT 2001

System specifics:
(2) SW4548E inverters both operating from the same battery bank.
Each inverter to feed it's own 230vac 50Hz load center.
Utility power will be used as a back up to this large RE system (two 3k
water turbines, and possibly 5k of PV).
Grid sell back is a goal in the future for the owner.
We are supplying schematics to the UK installers (I'm assured there will
skilled electricians on the job) along with much of the components.

One question we have is: Is it OK to have the neutrals in this "two separate
inverters system" common?
My thought is to keep them separated. But I'm not sure why.
Anybody have experience with this?

There will be one, or two, double throw manual transfer switches so the load
centers can be directly powered by the grid in case of Trace system failure
or need for maintenance. If a DPDT transfer switch is utilized maybe they
can use just this one T-switch by switching both inverters hots and having
the neutrals common. Or should there by a separate T-switch for each
inverter.
Each inverter will have a Trace SWCA with WinVerter software also.

Dave

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm