Battery Bussing [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Aug 29 23:17:26 PDT 2001

Kurt,
    We wire battery cables to diagonally opposite corners of the bank, with
interconnects of sufficient size to allow the strings to all work as a set.
We sometimes add intermediate parallel interconnects, but not always.
    I would avoid running different positives to different B+ terminals.
While I can't prove it, I suspect that unbalanced loads between the two
inverters would negate the benefits of diagonal bank wiring and cause uneven
battery performance if the negatives are bonded at the shunt. I would tie
both B+ cables to the same B+ terminal, and tie the same B- cables from the
shunt to the diagonally opposite B- terminal. Use oversized parallel
interconnects, as you need to size for about 535 amps--I'd suggest a single
4/0 I/C for each and at least one set of intermediate parallel interconnects
at the 12V point. Make sure the parallel B- negatives are exactly the same
length and size, so they carry equal amounts of current, as sometimes
they'll be maxed out.
    You might also consider NOT balancing the loads between the two. That's
for grid wimps. There's no particular reason to do so with inverters.
Instead, put the dirty and surge loads (within capacity) on one and the
lights and electronics on the other, so the lights never flicker when the
pump comes on. Or put the continuous and ghost loads on one and the
intermittent loads on the other, so that one unit sleeps a lot.
    Note that if you run both AC outputs to the same load center, your
inverters will phase wild in relation to each other. You must have a neutral
buss rated for double the amps output of each inverter. If you use a common
neutral conductor from the inverters' AC out, it too must be double
ampacity.
    By not stacking, each inverter can sleep independently of the other. And
if one ever fails, you can jumper the main lugs in the load center while
it's away.
Hope this helps.
Allan at PawsitivEnnn