News From Washington [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 22 16:08:06 PDT 2001

I know some of you are opposed to government involvement in PV and other
things, but that ain't the way the world is. If the govt is going to be
involved in PV, let's see some positive involvement. The Bush
administration wanted to cut PV R&D funding 40% (a return to Reagan era
thinking or lack thereof). However, the Federal R&D funding allocations
for solar programs for Fiscal Year 2002 passed by  the federal Energy
and Water Subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee in
Washington DC.

Total for solar:  $94.657 million, about $1 million more than FY 2001.
PV:  $81.7 million, up $6 million from FY 2001, and up from the
Administration's request of $39 million.
CSP:  $7.9 million, down $ 6 million from FY 2001, but up from the
Administration's request of $2 million.
Solar buildings, $4.95 million, up $1 million from FY 2001, and up from
the Administration's request of $2 million.

While these amounts are nothing compared to the billions of taxpayers'
dollars that go to the nuclear industry, not to mention the billions
that go to the coal, gas and oil industries, it is better than nothing.
The war is far from over. Next, the battle is in the full House, then
the Senate.

(Don't forget to tell your customers to use their tiny tax refund to buy
a PV module or two.)

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm