Outboard equipment for PV5 [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Jun 11 18:21:07 PDT 2001

Pals:

As you all know by now, I am bidding on installation of a Trace Technology
PV5 and I can't get Trace Tec to return my calls.  Maybe one of you can
answer some questions:

This system will go into a facility with a 440V feeder.  There is an
existing 208 transformer and sub-panel. Trace lists some equipment as
optional and a transformer as "required" if the local building department
requires the panels be grounded or if the line voltage is not 208.  There
is no manual for the PV5.  The manual or the PV10 (AKA the 10208) says the
transformer is required, period.  The client has a 440 to 208 transformer
already.  Do we still need to purchase one from Trace Tec?  By grounded, do
they mean one pole of the DC feed or do they mean the frame of the panels?

Also, they list a number of optional items and I need to know if I need any
or all of them and how they are installed.  For example, they offer a 20 A
AC circuit breaker.  I have space for a 3 pole breaker in the 208 panel.
Do I need another one?

They list a combiner box.   This looks like the same one that has flamed
out for several wrenches.   This unit will be run at close to 600 VDC.
Will it take this voltage?

This is a code question:  This equipment will be installed at a public
pool.   Can the conduit be installed at about 8 feet above the deck (PVC
Sked 40)?

Thanks for considering these questions.

William Miller

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com