big ol' diesel gen [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Mon May 7 17:49:20 PDT 2001

I've got a hands on (quite competent) customer who has just upgraded from a
Trace 2624SB to a SW4024.
Everything thing is groovy except for the generator out put is not within
the acceptable range. He reports
121v at 53 hz, and 142v at 60 hz. He did get the SW to accept the 142 by
changing the AC inputs (11) to 144 volts but it did not stay very long
before it errored out due to Gen over/under (frequency).
I told him to try this again and watch his meters this time so he could tell
me what the frequency went to while loaded and what the voltage was at this
time.

Sounds like his old Detroit Diesel 20K 3 phase genny is having problems. He
used this same generator for several years with the 2624SB successfully...
except until the 2624 died that is. So maybe the generator output voltage
has decayed overtime.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what might be causing the genny to
behave like this? Far from being a generator expert, I did mention that he
should try to balance the legs and load the gen before trying to sync with
the SW. I suspect something else might be going wrong with the gen as it
charged via the 2624SB set up the way it is now.

David Palumbo

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm