Solar Guerilla danger? [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at erols.com
Wed Apr 25 07:39:25 PDT 2001

Last year I worded a strong letter to HomePower about "glamorizing"
solar Guerillas in a magazine also read by the general public and was
told everyone is doing it because the utilities are asking for very
un-realistic  interconnect requirements.  I agree with that sentiment,
but this should be a "quiet" revolution for those of us who understand
we still must install safe systems that meet code.

My concern has been the general public will read these articles and
think it means they can install systems any way they choose thinking
this refers to safety codes in general.  I also felt glamorizing this
activity in a national publication will come back and "bite" us all
when an unsafe installation that was later found to be selling back
without utility approval burns down a house and the utility holds this
up as an example.

Last year I was asked to testify during the net metering hearings for
Virginia.  During the cross examination of me by one of the eight(8)!!
utility lawyers present (this hearing was also broadcast), he held up
a copy of HomePower Magazine and read the ads for Guerilla T shirts
and read text that appeared to encourage illegal interconnect
activity.  Of course this was taken out of context, but that should
have been expected.

Anyone else run into to this??

Jeff Yago

- - - -