Solar Guerilla danger? [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Tue Apr 24 08:46:52 PDT 2001

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar wrote:

> Many metering systems are configured to keep the meter adding even when the
> power flows backwards.  That's right, you are providing the utility your
> green power and paying them retail for every kwh you donate.

Hi Bill,

Never seen nor heard of that one, but I do know of some meters that
appear to be spinning backwards, but will not accumulate positive amp
hours (dials only progress in one direction).  I had one utility
approved system that had one such as that.

Question: I tried utilizing a standard three wire 240vac kilowatt hour
meter to measure energy consumption on a 120vac appliance.  Numbers were
way off (low) and I was told that you had to have a two wire (three
connections) meter that was designed for 120vac only.  I bought such a
meter and it worked fine.  Here is the question... could there be a
whole bunch of grid-tie systems out there that aren't getting credited
with the true ammount of KWH's produced because they are feeding 120vac
only through one leg of 240 volt meter?  Kurt Nelson

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com